Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".

Catalog quick links

Department advising resources

How do I declare a major? You will need to submit a completed Change of Program form, which is an online survey.  If you have further questions about this please go to the Academic Services Office of the College of Science and Health (room 105 Graff Main Hall). 

How do I find out who my advisor is?

Log in to your WINGS account. Your "Program Advisor" is listed on the right side of your student center. Your advisor is typically a faculty member who teaches in the department of your major and knows much about the coursework required for your specific major / concentration / career path and can help you find answers to most all of your questions.

How often will I meet with my advisor?

It is a good idea to meet with your Chemistry/Biochemistry advisor at least once each fall and spring semester, prior to registering for your next classes. You should feel free to email your advisor shortly after mid-semester in the fall and again in the spring to request a meeting time. Of course, if you have any questions or issues at other times, always feel free to contact your advisor (by email or phone) to discuss and/or set up an appointment.

What do we do when we meet for registration advising?

You should arrive to your meeting promptly with an outline of the courses that you want to take in the next semester (or next two or three). Your advisor will discuss that list of courses with you and may suggest alternative options or make suggestions for better choices. It is our job as advisors to give you the best advice we can to help you navigate through your required coursework as swiftly as possible. However, you are the one who chooses which courses to take. You may ask other questions at your meetings, including ones about potential careers, etc.

What if I'm struggling academically?

There are a number of resources on campus for students experiencing difficulties with their coursework. First, you should consult the instructor of the class in which you are struggling. The instructor may have recommendations on how to study or who else to ask for help.

The Murphy Learning Center (251 Murphy Library) employs Chemistry tutors and some faculty members hold office hours there as well. Check their website for tutoring hours and courses.

The UWL Counseling & Testing Center (2016 CENT) has learning specialists on hand to assist with study skills and test anxiety. Their Self-Help Page might be a good place for you to start in seeking some online assistance.

If you believe that dropping a course is in your best interest, be aware of all drop deadlines and methods (consult the Records and Registration pages or feel free to visit any of our Academic Service Director (Carla Burkhardt or Guy Herling) located in the CSH Dean’s Academic Services Office, 105 Graff Main Hall, 608-785-8218).

What if I'd like more of a challenge or a new learning experiences?

Chemistry and Biochemistry majors have numerous opportunities to get involved in undergraduate research projects, internships, and other summer professional activities. Talk to your faculty advisor about research opportunities, or consult the UWL Undergraduate Research and Creativity Page to learn about other opportunities, events, and how you may get started. Internships (paid or unpaid) may be taken for academic credit, usually during your junior and/or senior years. The UWL Career Services Office coordinates most internship opportunities.

How do I apply to graduate?

Complete the “Apply for Graduation” form found within your WINGS Student Center. It is recommended that, as you approach the time to register for your final semester of classes, you make an appointment with one of our Academic Service Directors (Carla Burkhardt or Guy Herling) located in the CSH Dean’s Academic Services Office, 105 Graff Main Hall, 608-785-8218) to do a credit check and assure that you are on track to graduate.

What are my options after graduation?

Approximately half of our graduates continue their education by entering professional or graduate schools within six months of graduation. Those who enter the workforce are routinely employed in chemical product development, analysis, or sales at organizations such as Aldrich, Johnson & Johnson, Cargill, Covance, PPD, and other biotech or scientific instrumentation firms; many graduates find full-time research positions at larger universities and medical schools like UW-Madison, the University of Minnesota, and the Medical College of Wisconsin; others have found quality assurance positions in food labs such as Kwik Trip, Organic Valley, and the La Crosse City Brewery; some find jobs in government organizations such as the US Geological Survey or WI DNR.