Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

School of Education


How do I declare my major?

Use this form if you are changing majors/minors within the SoE or changing to a SoE major from another college or school at UWL. This form allows you to declare your major and be assigned an advisor aligned with your major.  You will still need to apply to your School of Education program (see Admission to SOE Programs below).

Please note: You must apply for admission to your new School of Education program even if you were already admitted to your previous SoE program.  

Faculty advisors are assigned by departments/programs based on a student’s declared major and/or minor, thus completing the “Change of Program/Plan” form may also change the student’s faculty advisor assignment. Students are not allowed to change their major during the published registration period each semester.

To change your major to another college or school at UWL you should go to the Dean’s Office of that college or school. You can check here to find out how/where to change your major to another college.

Last modified: 08/01/2023

Admission to SoE Programs

Wisconsin educator licensing code (PI 34.018(2)) requires that candidates for an educator license must apply for admission to the educator preparation program. At UWL, admission to the School of Education in the appropriate teacher education program is required in order to enroll in professional education courses. Each program has specific criteria to be eligible to apply for admission. Meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee admission into the School of Education or a specific teacher education program. Limited availability of resources may impact the number of students admitted to a given program. 

Last modified: 08/16/2023

Teacher Education Program Requirements
What happens if I miss an application or benchmark window?

In the case of an extenuating circumstance, students may request an extension to a benchmark deadline or application window. Examples of situations where this might occur include:

  • Applying for admission to SOE
  • Applying for Field or Student Teaching
  • Meeting Field or Student Teaching benchmark deadlines

Requests for an extension should be made prior to the deadline whenever possible by completing this linked form. The form will ask you to provide the following information:

  • Indicate the request
  • Provide an explanation of the extenuating circumstance
  • Provide an explanation of why the application was not able to be submitted within the submission window
  • Identify a UWL faculty member who can speak to the extenuating circumstance

Received forms will be reviewed by a committee.  A member of that committee will follow up with you regarding next steps.

Last modified: 09/19/2023

UWL Policies on Academic Standing

Academic standing is determined twice each year, once at the end of the fall semester and once at the end of the spring semester. An academic semester refers to the fall or spring semester, not to winter or summer sessions.

The policies linked below outline progressive university response to situations when students’ GPAs fall below the minimum standard.

UWL policies on academic standing

Last modified: 09/26/2018

Additional Resources for Students
When/where/how do I register?

Students can find this information by logging into the Self Service Center in WINGS.  There will be a blue box to the right of the screen that is labeled “Enrollment Dates” and students should locate the subheading “Enrollment Appointment” and click on the “Details” hyperlink in that section.

Last modified: 05/30/2019

Where/how do I pay my bill?

This information can be found on the Cashier’s Office website 

Last modified: 02/21/2020

What is an override and how do I use it?

An override is when an instructor provides a student with permission to enroll in an already full course section.  If a student receives a notice that he/she has been approved for an override, he/she will simply log into Schedule Planner in WINGS and add the course as he/she would during registration.  The override would have already been set in WINGS by the instructor to allow the student to add the course without receiving an error message.  If the student still receives an error message, then he/she should contact the course instructor for further guidance.

Last modified: 05/30/2019

How do I get on a wait list and what happens if I can't get into that class?

The UWL Records Office provides detailed instructions on how to be added to a course’s waitlist:  If students are unable to get into a waitlisted course, they are encouraged to contact the course instructor to request an override or the student should select an alternative course.

Last modified: 05/13/2024

How do I get credit for a course I plan to take at a different institution?

Please complete this Off Campus Course Evaluation Form prior to taking a course at another institution. This is especially important if taking a course that is not listed in Transferology.


Last modified: 02/16/2023

I am ready to graduate, what do I do?
  • When you submit your student teaching application, you should apply to graduate in your WINGS student center. It is located in the same drop-down menu as your Academic Requirements (AR) report. 
  • Upon receipt of student teaching applications, the Academic Services Director/Teacher Certification officer in the SOE Dean's office will complete a credit check of all students who have applied to student teach.  You will be contacted via email If you are found to be missing required courses, missing required benchmark assessments, or needing to appeal GPA(s).
  • At any time in your career at UWL if you have any questions regarding degree completing contact the Dean's Office (260 Morris Hall, 785-8706). While your faculty advisor can also check your status, the Academic Service Director/Teacher Certification Officer in the Dean's office is the person who will complete your official degree verification when you are all done with your student teaching experience.  

Last modified: 03/24/2021

Can I participate in the May/December commencement ceremony if I am a Summer/Winter degree candidate graduate?
  • Yes.  If you are a Winter Intercession degree candidate, you may participate in the December commencement ceremony and if you are a Summer degree candidate, you may participate in the May commencement ceremony. 
  • General information about commencement can be found here. 

Last modified: 03/24/2021

Information on academic standards and suspension appeals.

Students must maintain a minimum academic standard in order to continue at UWL. Based on grades earned at UW-La Crosse, a student will be assigned a Good Standing, Warning, Probation, or Suspension status. These standards are defined in the UWL Catalog in the Academic Eligibility section.

It is possible for a first semester student or for a student never on Probation to be declared Suspended!

If you are suspended, you have the right to appeal the decision.

You may appeal for immediate re-admission and preserve your future enrollment by paying attention to deadlines (see below).

Appealing Your Suspension Status

A student with a status of “Suspension” may write an appeal letter to the members of a College/School Dean's Appeals Committee. The letter should be sent to the college or school of their intended major. Please follow the guidelines below.

  • Letters of appeal should be no more than one page in length and address the following questions:
    • What contributed to your poor academic performance?
    • What specific steps will you take to improve your performance this coming semester?
    • What major and/or academic program do you intend to pursue?
  • Letters should be sent as soon as possible to the Academic Service Director of your intended major’s college (see email address below) with the subject line “Academic Suspension Appeal”. Please use your email if possible.
  • Letters must include a current phone number and email address.
  • View a sample letter format

If the members of the Dean’s Committee approve your appeal, you will be re-admitted to the University and your academic standing will be changed to “Probation.”

If the members of the Dean’s Committee deny your appeal, you have the right to bring your original appeal before the university Committee for Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS). This faculty committee will hear appeals made in-person in the Faculty Senate Chambers (325 Graff Main Hall) on the Wednesday before the Spring and Fall

semester. This is the final level of appeal. If CAPS denies the appeal, you will remain “Suspended” and will be eligible to apply for re-admission to a future term.

Deadlines for Re-admission After Academic Suspension (University dates and deadlines)

  • Re-admission with future schedule saved:
    • Monday at 9:00AM, two weeks after the Spring/Fall Grades Due deadline. The grades due deadline is also the date that should appear on your official suspension letter. Your future class schedule will be saved if you submit an appeal letter and are re-admitted by the members of the Dean’s Committee on this day.
  • Re-admission without schedule saved:
    • Monday at 9:00AM, the week before the Spring/Fall semester: This is the last day to submit a letter of appeal to be considered for re-admission, including for appeals that go before CAPS. Colleges may choose to accept a late appeal at their discretion. Class availability is limited due to current student enrollment.
  • The preferred deadline for appeals allows students the best opportunity to register for appropriate courses alongside current students. Class availability is greatest when you appeal by these dates:
    • Spring re-admission by October 15
    • Fall re-admission by February 15

Any questions or concerns regarding academic eligibility and/or the appeals process should be directed to the College Academic Services Offices.

College of Arts, Social Sciences, & Humanities

College of Business Administration

Last modified: 10/16/2023

Benchmark Requirements

The WI Department of Public Instruction (DPI) is specific in its requirements about the content of both general education and professional education. DPI requires teacher education candidates to complete a variety of benchmark assessments (tests). Teacher candidates must have evidence of completion of all benchmark assessments except for the edTPA in order to be approved for student teaching. 

The WI State Superintendent of Public Instruction determines passing scores. Therefore, prospective teacher education candidates should work closely with an advisor from the outset of their studies at the university. Completion of DPI requirements for licensure may take longer than four academic years. 

Who should I contact about advising and certification?

Academic Services Director/Teacher Certification Officer: Jen Pinnow

Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".