Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Advising categories

Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".

Catalog quicklink

In the Department of Communication Studies, we take advising seriously, and ask that you meet with your assigned advisor at least once every semester.  Your advisor, who is a faculty member in the department, is trained to help you understand your advisement repoAdvising Matters! rt, your university, college, and departmental requirements, and how to locate any additional services you may need while you are with us at UWL. 

Below, you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding advising.  Please take the opportunity to review the questions and answers, and do not hesitate to contact your advisor (listed on the right side of your WINGS account) if you have additional questions or concerns. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I declare a CST major?

Students can declare to become a CST major at any time by filling out the Change of Major/Minor form.  

What are the emphasis areas in the CST major?

Majors in Communication Studies will choose from one of four emphasis areas in the department:

  • Public Communication and Advocacy
  • Interpersonal Communication
  • Media Studies
  • Organizational and Professional Communication

For a complete description of each of the emphasis areas as well as the course requirements for each, please click here.

back to FAQs

Do I need to declare a minor?

Yes.  Every CST major needs to declare either a minor or the CASSH/VPA Program Option. Students, in consultation with their advisor, should decide on the best path to develop a set of skills and/or knowledge that will be useful in their future endeavors.  For a list of minors at UWL, click here.  Some of the more popular minors for CST majors are: Business Administration, Psychology, Environmental Studies, Ethnic and Racial Studies, Professional Writing, Anthropology, English, Spanish, Sociology, and Women's Studies.

Instead of a formal minor, students may choose the CASSH/VPA Program Option to fulfill this requirement.  The CASSH/VPA Program Option requirements are: Complete 18 credits in two or more departments or programs (at least 12 credits earned at the 300/400 level). These courses must be outside the student's major department and can be from any college. General education courses may apply provided they are not being used to fulfill minimum general education requirements.  Students can declare this option in Morris 260.

You do not necessarily need to declare a minor or the Program Option when you declare your pre-CST major, unless you are within a few semesters of graduating.

back to FAQs


Why did extra courses get added from CASSH when I declared my official CST major?

When you declare your official CST major, you will be asked to decide if you want to pursue a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.  In either case, you will need to complete several courses as a way of fulfilling this requirement.  Speak with your advisor about the best option for you, and also review the material here to understand the requirements for each.  

back to FAQs

Progressing in the Major

How long will it take to complete the major?

The minimum time it takes to complete the CST major is four semesters.  Our four core classes build on each other, and must be taken in sequence.  This unique set of core courses familiarizes students with the discipline of Communication Studies (CST 190), explores the breadth of communication theories that comprise the discipline (CST 301), trains students on communication research methods (CST 498), and provides an opportunity to engage in an independent original scholarly research project supervised by a CST faculty member (CST 499).

back to FAQs