Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Advising categories

Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".

Catalog quicklinks:

How do I declare a major?

You will need to submit a completed Change of Program form, which is an online survey.  If you have further questions about this please go to the Academic Services Office of the College of Science and Health (105 Graff Main Hall).

How do I find who my advisor is?

Log in to your WINGS account. Your "Program Advisor" is listed on the right side of your student center. During your first year, at UWL, you will most likely have a professional advisor in the Academic Advising Center. Starting your second year, you will switch to a faculty advisor who teaches in the department and is well-versed in the coursework required for your specific major/concentration/career path. 

How often will I meet with my advisor?

You are required to meet with your Biology advisor at least once each fall and spring prior to registering for classes. Biology advisors will email you shortly after mid-semester in the fall and again in the spring with instructions for setting up a meeting time. If you have questions or issues at other times of the semester, feel free to contact your advisor (email or phone) to set up an appointment. 

What do we do when we meet for registration advising?

You should arrive to your meeting promptly with an idea of the courses that you want to take. Your advisor will discuss that list of courses with you and make suggestions for better choices, if applicable. It is our job as advisors to give you the best advice we can to help you navigate through your required coursework as swiftly as possible, but in the end, you are the one that chooses the courses to take. You can also ask other questions at this session, including ones about careers, etc.

What if I'm struggling academically?

There are a number of resources on campus for students experiencing difficulty in their coursework.  First, you should consult the instructor of the class with which you are struggling.  The instructor may have recommendations on how to study or who to ask for help.

The Murphy Learning Center has Biology tutors.  Check the website at for Biology tutoring hours.

The Counseling & Testing Center has learning specialists on hand to assist with study skills and test anxiety.  The self-help page ( might be a place to start for some online assistance.

If you believe that dropping the course is in your best interest, be sure to be aware of drop deadlines and methods (consult or the CSH Dean’s Academic Services Office, 105 Graff, 608.785.8218).

What if I'd like more of a challenge or a new experience?

Biology majors have opportunities to do undergraduate research and/or internships.  Talk to your faculty advisor about research opportunities, or consult to learn how to get started.  Internships (paid or unpaid) may be taken for academic credit, usually in the junior or senior year.  The Career Services office coordinates internship opportunities.

How do I apply to graduate?

Complete the “Apply for Graduation” found in your WINGS Student Center.  It is recommended that you make an appointment with the Dean’s Office (608-785-8218) to do a credit check as you approach the time to register for your last semester of classes.

What are my options after graduation?

Over half of Biology graduates continue their education by entering professional or graduate school within six months of graduation.  Those who enter the work force are employed in product testing/development organizations such as Covance, PPD; full-time university research positions at universities like UW-Madison, UM-Twin Cities; quality assurance in labs such as Kwik Trip, Organic Valley, City Brewery; and government organizations such as US Geological Survey, DNR.